Sunday, February 8, 2015

Fantastic Fantasy


Fantastic Fantasy!

Friday, I finished this audiobook:

13The Riddle-Master of Hed [1976] by Patricia A. McKillip [Audible Audiobook]


Oh my. Much to think on. Much to consider.  There are wizards, sort of. And harpists. And shape shifters. And, all manner of odd unaccountable beings and events. It's a bit confusing at first, but parts of the story are also ordinary, such as farmers taking their goods to trade, traders moving goods from place to place, and so forth.  So many things or persons are not what they seem! Exciting!

This is my first experience with this author and it was quite enjoyable. The story is creative and compelling and the protagonist is interesting and also developing as he encounters new and sometimes completely puzzling and unusual events.

Bravo!

I listened to this book on audible and will probably read it again on my Kindle eventually to be sure I have understood the major parts before moving on in the series. This is the first in a trilogy and I will surely read all three eventually.


Still reading

I am still reading several books but almost finished with the first two listed.

4. Middlemarch [1872] by George Eliot (aka Mary Anne or Marian Evans) [Kindle].
11The Knitting Book [2011] by Frederica Patmore and Vikki Haffenden [hardcover].

14The Wreath [1920] by Sigrid Undset, translated by Tiina Nunnally [Kindle].
15The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up [2010] by Marie Kondo [iBooks].
Open for Suggestions!

While I started compiling a potential 2015 reading list a couple of months ago, it is not written in stone and I am open for suggestions. Several of my friends have given me specific suggestions or links to lists of excellent books. Keep them coming!

I could use something light to read or something happy...?

Books Completed in 2015

I have read (or listened to) ten books so far in 2015!Here is a list of completed books with links to their info page on Goodreads and to the reviews I have written on Goodreads and Amazon (or Audible).

1. Among Others [2011] by Jo Walton [Kindle]. 5/5 stars [review: GoodreadsAmazon].
2. Knitting for Beginners [2014] by Susan Wilters [Kindle]. 2/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].
5. The Story of My Life [1902] by Helen Keller [Kindle] 4/5 stars [review: GoodreadsAmazon].
7. At Risk [2004] by Stella Rimington [audible.com audiobook] [review: GoodreadsAudible].
6. The Dispossessed [1974] by Ursula Le Guin [Kindle]. 5/5 stars [review: GoodreadsAmazon]
3. Interpreter of Maladies [1999], short stories by Jhumpa Lahiri [audiobook]. [review: Goodreads]
9The Handmaid's Tale [1985] by Margaret Atwood [Kindle]. [review: GoodreadsAmazon]
8The Lady Astronaut of Mars [2012] by Mary Robinette Kowal [Kindle]. [review: GoodreadsAmazon]
10Americanah [2013] by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche [audible.com audiobook] [review: GoodreadsAudible]
12. If Ever I Return, Pretty Peggy-O [1990] by Sharyn McCrumb [Audible Audio] [review: GoodreadsAudible]
13The Riddle-Master of Hed [1976] by Patricia A. McKillip [Audible Audiobook] [review: Goodreads; Audible]

I suppose I also have to decide whether to number these in the order finished or in the order started? Decisions, decisions...  Numbers can be so confusing for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment