Monday, January 5, 2015

A Holiday Lament

Why do the holidays have to come to an end, or rather why must my holiday end? I have two more days (Monday and Tuesday) with plenty of time free for reading (or whatever) and I am making the most of it. So, today I read parts of three books and shall read a fourth at bedtime.

3. Interpreter of Maladies [1999], short stories by Jhumpa Lahiri [audiobook].

Today I listened (while knitting, which is a nice way to start the day) to the fourth short story, "A Real Durwan,"which was a reminder of the often selfish, brusque, and uncaring nature of humans.

4. Middlemarch [1872] by George Eliot (aka Mary Anne or Marian Evans) [Kindle].

Oh the first two main male characters in this book just annoy me to no end. Yes, I know it's set in the 1800s, so I shouldn't be surprised at their attitudes toward women, but still.

5. The Story of My Life [1902] by Helen Keller [Kindle] 4/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon]

Today, I finished Helen Keller's first memoir, written when she was about 21. Keller's first memoir describes her first twenty or so years, penned whilst she studied at Radcliffe. Reading about her unique process of learning and of studying is fascinating. Her ability to turn a descriptive phrase, her acquaintance with famous and interesting people, and her love of nature and literature are nicely intertwined in an enlightening narrative.

Although I had no idea this would be a book about books, Keller so frequently refers to books she has read and enjoyed (or not) that it really is that, as well.

6. The Dispossessed [1974] by Ursula Le Guin [Kindle] [insert descriptive info here and who suggested it and so forth, which I will, perhaps tomorrow... ;o) ]

Ah, immersing myself in a new world (universe?) and new peoples and cultures and technologies. It's heady!

Books Completed in 2015

Down here I will list the completed books with links to their info page on Goodreads and to the reviews I have written. I hope I can figure out how to link to my Amazon reviews eventually (Anyone? Anyone?). They are identical to my Goodreads reviews, really, but I know some people aren't on he Goodreads website. I suppose I also have to decide whether to number these in the order finished or in the order started? Decisions, decisions...  Numbers can be so confusing for me...

1. Among Others [2011] by Jo Walton [Kindle]. 5/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].
2. Knitting for Beginners [2014] by Susan Wilters [Kindle]. 2/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].
5. The Story of My Life [1902] by Helen Keller [Kindle] 4/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].

No comments:

Post a Comment