Monday, January 5, 2015

Not stuck in the 1800s...

Not stuck in the 1800s...

Sunday, I listened to another short story from this audiobook:

3. Interpreter of Maladies [1999], short stories by Jhumpa Lahiri [audiobook].

The third story, which is also the title story (and , is quite a commentary on the human condition, the lives we lead, the lives we wish we led, and the mental gymnastics we go through in fantasizing the one with the other. As in the other stories, the writing is sublime and the ending is a bit different than you might expect.

4. Middlemarch [1872] by George Eliot (aka Mary Anne or Marian Evans) [Kindle].

I've barely made a dent in this one yet, as it's rather a lengthy book but the two main sister characters have been inter

5. The Story of My Life [1902] by Helen Keller [Kindle].

I've read about one-third of this book so far. Keller's writing is so descriptive. It's stunning really. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for her to become so adept with language.  At this point in the story she's been to Boston twice, had a year or more with her teacher, Anne Sullivan, and, finally, met other people who can sign like she is being taught to sign. She also experienced the ocean for the first time.  I am also learning new words as I read this book (not that unusual for me but still!).

So, for my next book, I'm going to start reading something that is not set in the 1800s. I need some more science fiction so I believe the next book will be this one:

6. The Dispossessed [1974] by Ursula Le Guin [Kindle].

Books Completed in 2015

1. Among Others [2011] by Jo Walton [Kindle]. 5/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].
2. Knitting for Beginners [2014] by Susan Wilters [Kindle]. 2/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].

No comments:

Post a Comment