Thursday, January 8, 2015

Work is interfering with my reading...

Not quite so much reading today because so much work is to be done for the new semester, which begins Monday. However, early this morning (too early, actually, as I woke up before 4am) I listened to another short story and did a bit of knitting.


3. Interpreter of Maladies [1999], short stories by Jhumpa Lahiri [audiobook].

"Mrs. Sen" is a beautiful if somewhat sad portrayal of the emotions felt by immigrants to America, in this case, a housewife. It illustrates the joy in little reminders of home, as well as some Indian cultural details. The theme is loneliness, really, but not of just being alone, but of being so far from everything and everyone a person knows and loves. It is beautiful and touching.

I continue to slowly read my way through these two books published a century apart, Middlemarch and The Dispossessed.


4. Middlemarch [1872] by George Eliot (aka Mary Anne or Marian Evans) [Kindle].

At this point in Middlemarch, new characters are being introduced. The Vincys, Mary Garth, Mr. Featherstone, etc. but, clearly, their lives are or will be intertwined with other previously introduced characters very shortly.

6. The Dispossessed [1974] by Ursula Le Guin [Kindle].


In The Dispossessed, our protagonist is about to leave his friends to continue his research elsewhere with some great scientist. His friends have thrown him a party and all are waxing philosophical. That sounds like just about any novel, really, but the philosophizing is quite singular because of the nature of their planet's non-propertied utopian and egalitarian social order characterized by the concept of mutual aid, cured diseases, and the prevention of hunger and injustice.


7. At Risk [2004] by Stella Rimington [audible.com audiobook].

No time today for listening to the newest audiobook, At Risk, though. Since the husband and I are listening together it might await the next long drive in the car, perhaps next weekend.

Open for Suggestions!

While I started compiling a potential 2015 reading list a couple of months ago, it is not written in stone and I am open for suggestions. Several of my friends have given me specific suggestions or links to lists of excellent books. Keep them coming!

Books Completed in 2015

Down here I will list the completed books with links to their info page on Goodreads and to the reviews I have written. I hope I can figure out how to link to my Amazon reviews eventually (Anyone? Anyone?). They are identical to my Goodreads reviews, really, but I know some people aren't on he Goodreads website. I suppose I also have to decide whether to number these in the order finished or in the order started? Decisions, decisions...  Numbers can be so confusing for me...

1. Among Others [2011] by Jo Walton [Kindle]. 5/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].
2. Knitting for Beginners [2014] by Susan Wilters [Kindle]. 2/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].
5. The Story of My Life [1902] by Helen Keller [Kindle] 4/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].



No comments:

Post a Comment