Sunday, January 11, 2015

Weekend Reading Report!

Friday's workfest and Saturday's hours of attempted technology-glitch-problem-solving and the weekend cooking spree ate into my weekend reading time. However, I did make progress on the Le Guin book and we finished listening to Stella Rimington's first novel (audiobook).

6. The Dispossessed [1974] by Ursula Le Guin [Kindle].

The author moves back and forth beautifully from past to (perceived?) present in the life of the protagonist, Shevek.  In the most current segments, he's middle-aged and has gone to the other planet, Urras. He is the first person in 150 years to leave Annares for Urras. And, in intervening chapters he's a young adult who has moved to another city on Annares for further study in physics with a famous scholar, who is teaching him somewhat subversive habits in the process. Further details about both planets and their major geographic, social, political, and economic differences are revealed through these histories. The dichotomy of the planets and their differences is fascinating, as well as the bizarre differences in their social history and how the people from each planet seem to think about the other planet.


7. At Risk [2004] by Stella Rimington [audible.com audiobook].

Saturday night we finished our audiobook. It was fantastic! The ending a bit unexpected and the plots within plots that unfolded were exceedingly tangled and interesting. Now, I think, my husband wants to move on to the next novel in the Liz Carlyle series. I hadn't planned to read multiple books by the same author this year, but I may make an exception for this since my husband is enjoying the audiobooks so much.

If you like thrillers, suspense, or crime novels, or any of that sort of thing, read this book. Or, get the audiobook from audible.com. It has an excellent narrator.


4. Middlemarch [1872] by George Eliot (aka Mary Anne or Marian Evans) [Kindle].

Only a little progress on Middlemarch since Friday.  I'll dive back into that one at bedtime tonight.


3. Interpreter of Maladies [1999], short stories by Jhumpa Lahiri [audiobook].

I will return to my morning 'short story on audio with knitting' plan this week!

Open for Suggestions!

While I started compiling a potential 2015 reading list a couple of months ago, it is not written in stone and I am open for suggestions. Several of my friends have given me specific suggestions or links to lists of excellent books. Keep them coming!

Books Completed in 2015

Down here I will list the completed books with links to their info page on Goodreads and to the reviews I have written. I hope I can figure out how to link to my Amazon reviews eventually (Anyone? Anyone?). They are identical to my Goodreads reviews, really, but I know some people aren't on he Goodreads website. I suppose I also have to decide whether to number these in the order finished or in the order started? Decisions, decisions...  Numbers can be so confusing for me...

1. Among Others [2011] by Jo Walton [Kindle]. 5/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].
2. Knitting for Beginners [2014] by Susan Wilters [Kindle]. 2/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].
5. The Story of My Life [1902] by Helen Keller [Kindle] 4/5 stars [review: Goodreads; Amazon].
7. At Risk [2004] by Stella Rimington [audible.com audiobook].


No comments:

Post a Comment